PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AT SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETINGS
All regular and special meetings of the South Hadley School Committee shall be open to the public. Executive sessions will be held only as prescribed by the Statutes of theCommonwealth of Massachusetts.
The meetings of the South Hadley School Committee must focus on the conduct of necessary school business. The South Hadley School Committee desires citizens of South Hadley to attend its meetings so that they may become better acquainted with the operation and the programs of the South Hadley Public Schools. In addition, the Committee would like the opportunity to hear the wishes and ideas of the public regarding the community's schools, and therefore, extends to citizens the privilege of addressing the Committee during its meetings. In order that all citizens who wish to be heard before the Committee have that chance and to insure the ability of the Committee to conduct the South Hadley Public Schools business in an orderly manner, the following rules and procedures are adopted:
- All remarks will be addressed through the chairperson of the meeting.
- The length of the public participation segment shall be determined by the chairperson.
- Topics for discussion must be limited to those items listed on the School Committee meeting agenda for that evening.
- Improper conduct and remarks will not be allowed. Defamatory or abusive remarks are always out of order. If a speaker persists in improper conduct or remarks, the chairperson may terminate his/her privilege of address.
- Speakers may offer such objective criticisms of the school operations and programs as concerns them, but in public session the Committee will not hear personal complaints of school personnel nor against any member of the school community. Other channels provide for Committee consideration and disposition of legitimate complaints involving individuals.
- Written comments longer than three (3) minutes may be presented to the Committee before or after the meeting for the Committee members’ review and consideration at an appropriate time.
Adoption date: January 10, 2006
Re-adoption date: November 26, 2013
South Hadley Public Schools