Walmart and Corporations: Are they good for America?
Activity: Walmart and Corporations: Are they good for America?
Directions: Students will research the effects of Wal-mart, focusing on Positive, Negative, and Unsure Effects. Keep ‘Effects’ broad, to consider possible effects on, but not limited to: workers, government, taxpayers, local economies, etc. Provide between 4-6 Effects for each category.
Helpful websites are below. Also, visit links within sites for more information.
- Walmart Website: http://news.walmart.com/walmart-facts/
- Forbes Magazine’s Article, Walmart Pays High Wages, Not Low Wages:http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/07/23/walmart-pays-high-wages-not-low-wages/
- Walmart: Is It Good for America? Documentary
- Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price Documentary
- Eat Drink Politics Walmart’s Hunger Games Report: http://www.eatdrinkpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/Walmarts_Hunger_Games_Report.pdf
- Making Change at Walmart: http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/
- Sam Walton’s Article in TIME Magazine, 1992. (see pdf file on Student Activity page)
- Amazon Rising: Inside Amazon Empire Documentary2017 (43 minutes) CNBC
Wal-mart and Its Effects (workers, government, taxpayers, local economies, etc.)