Agents of Socialization Project
How do Agents of Socialization Affect Who We Are (the self)?
How do Agents of Socialization Affect How We Interact with Society?
- Content: Deeper Knowledge of the Agents of Socialization
- Research in Sociology Skills at the Introductory Level; Using the Scientific Method
- How to be an effective and contributing member of a social group (groups no larger than 3)
(1) Agent of Socialization: School
How does a student’s academic performance contribute to feelings of belonging in the high school?
Research Method: Surveys and Interviews
Searching: Library Databases: Current Events: Opposing Viewpoints: academic performance
(2) Agent of Socialization: Family
Research Question: How does the presence of same-sex parents affect a child’s sense of self-esteem?
Research Method: Surveys, Interviews, and Existing Sources
Searching: Google: Same-sex parenting
Assessment Grades for the 3rd Quarter: 9, 16 (Grade 2 & 3 combined) points in Powerschool
Your grade is earned by successful completion of:
___1. Submit Steps 1-5 of the Research Model in hard copy or to the shared Gmail Account. See website and below for detailed requirements. (9 points)
___2. Conduct Steps 6-8 of the Research Model. See website and below for detailed requirements. (14 points)
___3. Complete your Group’s Self-Assessment. (2 points) **Detail for each Step Below.
- A Sociology Research Model: The Scientific Method
- Select a Topic and Create a Research Question.
- Define the Problem and Discuss why this research should be pursued.
- Review the Literature and/or previous research on this topic. ***This is optional and will earn extra credit.
- Formulate a Hypothesis and Define Variables.
- Choose a Research Method that best helps you find answers to your Research Question.
- Collect the Data.
- Analyze the Results.
- Share the Results.
- Research in Sociology Textbook Chapters
- White Text: Chapter 5, pg. 125-143
- Green Text: Chapter 2, pg. 41-69
- Ms. Goelz’s Website for Project/Research Tips