Unit 3 (1754-1800) The Revolution, Constitution, Republic
Unit 3: The Revolution, Constitution, and Early Republic
Unit 3 Key Concept (Period: 1754-1800):
Key Concept 3.1 — British attempts to assert tighter control over its North American colonies and the colonial resolve to pursue self-government led to a colonial independence movement and the Revolutionary War.
Key Concept 3.2 — The American Revolution’s democratic and republican ideals inspired new experiments with different forms of government.
Key Concept 3.3 — Migration within North America and competition over resources, boundaries, and trade intensified conflicts among peoples and nations.
Chapters in text: 6-10
(1) Chapter 4: Tyranny is Tyranny (Optional, but encouraged)
(2) Chapter 5: A Kind of Revolution (mandatory for ATP)
Video Resources: America: The Story of Us-
Content: French and Indian War; The Colonies in 1763; End of Salutary Neglect; British attempts to control; American revolution; Articles of Confederation and the Constitution; American party system; Jefferson vs. Hamilton; Washington and Adams’ foreign policy; and Document Based Question instruction
- APPARTS for 1 Primary Source (Documents 1-6)
- APPARTS for 1 Primary Source (Documents 12-16)
- 6 Degrees of Separation
- In-Class (multiple choice and short answer)
- Take Home (multiple choice)
- Essay (DBQ) on the Constitution and popular sovereignty.
- Revisions on In-Class Test & Essay (1/2 credit added to original In-Class Test and Full Credit on Essay; see syllabus for details)
- Completion of the Extra Credit Template (see General Info and Materials tab of website)for the Unit Key Concepts (Up to 10 points added onto your Unit Essay (Assessment Grade). In the event that the unit does not have an Essay portion, the extra credit will be applied to the In-Class Test for that Unit.)
Primary Sources: All provided in hard copy at the beginning of the unit.
Chapter 6 Outline (DOCX 1.21 MB)
Chapter 7 Outline (DOCX 106 KB)
Chapter 9 Outline (DOCX 94 KB)
Chapter 8 Outline (DOCX 87 KB)
Chapter 10 Outline (DOCX 100 KB)